Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Little Family Humor for You

There are people who say that New Englanders are a dour lot, but that's simply because outsiders don't understand "our" sense of humor. For example, my mother told me today what I'm supposed to put on my pie. Some people put a little blob of dough that looks like an apple or a blueberry, or whatever. Not my family.

If you have just made an apple pie, you put a big "T" on it, for "'Tis apple. If it's not, you mark it with a big "T". For "Tain't.

And so the long New England nights just fly.

4 comments:

Akasha Savage. said...

You don't know me, but I am a fellow writer of horror trying to complete by first book. You have been tagged by me! For more details visit my blog: www.aspirationsfromthedarkside.blogspot.com

Renee M. Solberg said...

Your family was missed by ours - but given we were all sick it was probably for the best :)

You are missed anyway...

The Beast said...

My dad used to do carpentry, and one summer he was building a house for a woman who insisted on being around all the time. So one day when she was watching him work he'd pick up each nail and examine it carefully. Some would go back in the box and others he would hammer into the wall. He did this most of the day, every time she came around, until finally she asked him what he was doing. "Well," he said, "some of the nails point this way and some point the other way. The nails that point out I use on this side of the wall, and the ones that point in I use on the other side."

The gauge of a good New England joke isn't how loud someone laughs, it's how long they think about it before saying, "Hey." I'm proud to say this woman took about ten minutes to get it.

And do more posts!

Renee M. Solberg said...

Inquiring minds wonder...how and yours are doing?

:)